city at night

city at night

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

New in the Neighborhood

When I first started staying in the Nápoles neighborhood a year ago, I noticed that nearby there was a large restaurant that had gone out of business.  On my last trip I saw that major renovation was being done, and I wondered what would be going into the building.  On this trip I had my answer.  A very large and very elegant "cantina" has opened.  This is not some low class bar, but a very ritzy establishment.

On one façade of the building they are in the process of painting a mural which portrays the "cantina" full of Mexican celebrities.


Even Alejandro can't identify all the people in the mural, but some of them are obvious.


The painter Frida Kahlo is partying with the film star Cantinflas, the "Charlie Chaplin of Mexico".



With his big mustache and bigger sombrero, this is the hero of the Mexican Revolution, Emiliano Zapata.



The arched eyebrow is a giveaway that this is the screen actress María Félix, the "Elizabeth Taylor" of Mexico.

Fortunately this new place is a couple blocks away from my condo, so I won't have to listen to all the late night noise on the weekends.


No comments:

Post a Comment