city at night

city at night

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

I'm in Mexico City, and I'm Not Sure What to Think

Unlike my previous trips, my blog posts for this trip are not going to be travelogues with pretty pictures... at least for the time being.  As you know if you read my previous post, the mother of my friend Alejandro is gravely ill and has been in the hospital since last Friday.

For the first few days I am staying at Alejandro's family's home instead of the condo that I rent.  The key to the entrance door of the condo building has been changed, and I am going to have to make arrangements to get the new key.  Until then I am staying with Alejandro's family.

Yesterday when I arrived in Mexico City I took a taxi from the airport.  I am sure the driver was surprised that a "gringo" wanted to go to the completely non-touristy, working-class neighborhood where the family lives.  I noticed that he waited on the street until Alejandro had opened the front door and let me in.  The driver perhaps was wondering if this crazy "gringo" really knew where he was going.

Alejandro was getting ready to leave for the hospital.  He and his sister have been taking turns staying there.  He told me that his sister had called from the hospital and told him that their mother had regained consciousness.  She was talking coherently, asked to drink some water, and wanted to get out of bed.  Alejandro, however, remained pessimistic in spite of her improvement.  He speculated as to whether she would be released from the hospital to spend her final days at home.

After Alejandro left to spend the night at the hospital, his sister returned home.  She was ecstatic about her mom's improvement, and talked as if she would be all right.  I certainly did not want to be a killjoy and ask if the doctor had changed the prognosis.

I was expecting to attend a funeral shortly after my arrival here, but now I don't know what the situation is.  Perhaps when Alejandro returns later this morning, he will have more information.  In any event, I am glad that she has regained consciousness and is able to communicate with her family.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that you and Alejandro and his family are going through this difficult time. I hope your presence there now is a comfort to them, no matter what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meredith. Alejandro is very stressed out and is glad that I am here. He told his mom last night that I am staying at the house and she was very pleased. I am trying to make myself useful here.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear that Alejandro's mom is not well, but I'm glad to read that she's talking. Sending positive vibes for continued recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scott. The long term prognosis does not look good, but hopefully she will be able to leave the hospital and have some quality time with the family.

      Delete