city at night

city at night

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Flying Down to CDMX



Yesterday I flew to Mexico City... or CDMX as it is officially abbreviated. 

Going through security in Cleveland, I had to open one of my carry-ons.  The container of fudge that I was bringing for Alejandro's family had aroused their suspicions.  When they saw the fudge, one of the guys said, "That looks good."  I told them it was home-made, and he joked, "Well, we can't allow that to go through."  I often read complaints that the TSA employees are rude and unprofessional, but I have always found them to be courteous and, in this case, possessing a good sense of humor.  I suspect that the people who complain the most about TSA are the ones who have a snippy attitude themselves.

My flight from Cleveland to Chicago on United Airlines was typically cramped.  Fortunately it is only an hour flight, and the seat next to me was empty, so it was bearable.

At O'Hare Airport I made it to the international terminal just as Interjet Airlines had begun to check in passengers for their 1:00 P.M. flight.  As always, traveling on Interjet was pleasant with plenty of leg room.  The flight was not extremely full.  I always select an aisle seat.  The middle seat next to me was vacant.  However the window seat was occupied, so I couldn't scoot over to take photos of the take-off and landing.  We departed on time, and arrived in Mexico City a half hour ahead of schedule.

I do have one complaint about Interjet however.  This is the second time that they did not have the immigration forms to hand out on the plane.  Often referred to as a tourist card, it must be filled out by foreign visitors and presented at immigration at the Mexico City airport. 

When I got to immigration, the line was perhaps the longest that I have seen there.  Usually you will find immigration forms on the counters there, but there were none to be found.  While we waited in line, I finally got the attention of an official, and told him that there was an entire flight of passengers here that needed tourist cards.  He went and got the forms and handed them out to us.

After passing through immigration and customs, Alejandro was not there waiting for me.  He was stuck in traffic.  He finally arrived, and drove me to the apartment that I rent.  On our drive from the airport... crawling along in rush hour traffic... signs of the recent earthquake were not obvious.  I did notice one apartment building that was heavily damaged.  Alejandro said that it was one of the now uninhabitable buildings that was slated for demolition.

I am now settled into the apartment, and ready for another month's stay in CDMX.



No comments:

Post a Comment